- Zoom! by Diane Adams
Key Science Concepts
- Both rolling and sliding objects move faster down steeper inclines.
- The motion and speed of a rolling or sliding object is affected by the shape and texture of the object and the texture of the surface on which it is rolling or sliding.
Before you read: Show children the cover, and read the title and author’s name. In this book, a father and son take a ride on a roller coaster. Ask children to take a close look at the characters on the cover. Ask, How do you think they feel about the ride?
After you read: Ask:
- Did it seem like the boy had a fun time on the roller coaster? What makes you think that?
- Turn back to the page on which the roller coaster is getting pulled to the top. Ask, Why do you think the cars had to be pulled to the top of the track? Does this remind you of anything from the other books or videos that we’ve watched?
- Turn to the next page and ask, What is happening on this page? Do you think that the ride is going fast or slow? What makes you think so? If you could design your own roller coaster, what would it be like?