- small paper bags or sealable plastic bags
- construction paper
- glue or tape
- plant and tree parts children collect
Key Science Concepts
- Plants have different parts: roots, stems, leaves, and fruit.
Encourage children to use words about plants like stem, leaf, trunk, bark, branch, twig, root, seed, and flower and science process words like compare, contrast, and describe.
Tell children they are going to collect things from plants and trees and then make a collage out of them.
- Give children paper or plastic bags and have them collect leaves, bark, seeds, and other things from plants and trees that they find on the ground.
- When children are finished with their collection, have them use the paper and art supplies to create collages.
Reflect and Share
Display and admire children’s collages. Ask, What parts of plants and trees did you use? What do you think is the most beautiful part of your collage? What do you like about it?