Key Science Concepts
- A shadow is created by an object blocking the light.
- You can change the shape of a shadow by moving and turning your body or the object making the shadow or by moving the light source.
- A shadow shows the shape of an object, but it doesn’t show colors or many other details.
Before you watch: Tell children that you are going to watch a video in which children trace shadows. What shadows have they traced this week?
After you watch: Ask,
- How did the experiments the children did indoors remind you of what we did a few days ago when we made big and little shadows using a lamp?
- What shapes and pictures did the children make by tracing shadows of their hands?
- Outside, why were the girls not able to see the “H” that they made together? How did they fix this problem?