Key Science Concepts
- A shadow is made when an object blocks the light.
Tell children that you will play a game of Shadow Hide and Seek!
- Find a spot to play that has lots of sun as well as shade (trees, playground equipment, etc.)
- Explain that the object of the game is to hide your shadow so the person who is “it” can’t see it.
- Tell children that you will hide your eyes and count to ten. While you do that, they should hide their shadow. Ask, Where would be a good place to go to make your shadow disappear?
- When you’ve finished counting, uncover your eyes and say “Freeze!” Then walk around and see if you can spot anyone’s shadow peeking out from a shady spot. If so, then that child is “it.”
- Finish by asking children what the best spots are to hide their shadow. (In another shadow!)