- A Fruit Is a Suitcase for Seeds by Jean Richards
- Chart labeled “Plants We Eat”
Key Science Concepts
- Many of the foods we eat come from plants.
- We eat certain leaves, roots, fruits, and seeds.
- Fruits have seeds.
Before you read: Show children the cover, and read the title and author’s name. Ask, What fruits to you see on the cover?
After you read: Ask children what they think the title means—why is a fruit a suitcase for seeds? Turn through the pages and ask:
- What are some of they ways we saw seeds travel? Why do you think they need to travel?
- We saw some seeds and some pits. What is a pit and how is it different than a seed?
Reflect and Share
On the chart, add names and drawings of some of the different kinds of fruits in the book. Ask children which fruits they’ve tried and which ones they’d like to try. Ask them what their favorite fruit is.