- Toy Boat by Randall de Sève
Key Science Concepts
Objects behave differently in water. Some float; some don’t.
Introduce the words waves and stormy. If you have time, and your children are interested, go over the different types of boats featured in the book: tugboat, ferry, speedboat, sailboat, fishing boat. Suggest they draw some of these during learning center time.
Before you read: Show children the cover, and read the title and author’s name. Ask them to describe what they think is happening on the cover.
After you read:
Turn to the relevant pages as you ask:
- What was the ocean like when the toy boat sailed off in the beginning?
- What happened to the ocean after that? Can you describe what the waves were like?
- Why do you think these big waves could have been dangerous to the boat? What might have happened?
- What happened when the big tugboat, the giant ferry, and the speedboat raced by the toy boat? Why was this dangerous?