- water table, large tub, or plastic wading pool (if outside)
- objects of children’s choice (decide ahead of time if you want to let the children choose objects in the room, or if you want to offer them a selection of objects that float and sink)
Key Science Concepts
- Objects behave differently in water. Some float; some don’t.
Tell children that just like Quack did in the video, we’re going to make a museum for fish.
- Tell children to pretend that the water table is a fish pond, like in the video. Ask, If you wanted to make a museum for fish, what objects would you want to have in your exhibit?
- Invite children to choose one object. Ask, What do you think will happen when you drop it in the pond?
- Have them drop it in and ask, What happened when you dropped your object in the water? Why do you think that happened?
- If a child tried something that floats, have them choose something they think will sink down to the museum, so that the fish can see it.