Key Science Concepts
- A shadow is created by an object blocking the light.
- You can make shadows with your body and other objects.
Tell children that you are going to take pictures of them and their shadow. Later on, you’ll compare the two photos.
- Bring children outside and have each child find his or her shadow.
- Have children observe and describe their shadows. Ask,
- Describe your shadow. What does it look like?
- Compare your shadow to yourself. How are they the same? How are they different?
- Encourage children to be creative and strike poses to create fun shadows.
- Have each child pick his or her favorite pose. Take a photo of each child posing and a separate one of the shadow that he or she casts. Later, print these photos to discuss and compare during Closing Circle.
Then introduce children to this week’s learning centers.